Boston Drug Possession Lawyer
Defending Against Drug Possession Charges in Massachusetts
Regarding drug possession charges in Massachusetts, you need a trustworthy legal team to protect your rights and advocate for your best interests. At Degiacomo & Mikhlin, P.C., we are your trusted Boston drug possession lawyers, committed to providing experienced legal representation in the complex arena of drug possession cases.
Call Degiacomo & Mikhlin, P.C. today at (617) 941-3666 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our drug possession attorney in Boston.
What is Drug Possession?
Drug possession is a criminal offense in which an individual is found to possess illegal substances, such as narcotics, controlled substances, or prescription drugs, without a valid prescription. Massachusetts law categorizes drugs into different classes, with penalties varying based on the classification. Being caught with even a small amount of an illegal substance can have serious legal consequences.
It is crucial to understand that drug possession charges can arise in various scenarios, such as having drugs on your person, vehicle, or home. The circumstances surrounding your case and the type of drug involved will determine the severity of the charges you may face.
Consequences of Drug Possession in Massachusetts
The legal consequences of a drug possession conviction in Massachusetts can be life-altering. It's essential to be aware of the potential penalties you might face:
- Criminal Record: A drug possession conviction can result in a permanent criminal record, affecting your employment opportunities, housing options, and even your capability to obtain loans or scholarships.
- Fines and Probation: You may be subject to substantial fines and probation if found guilty of drug possession. These financial penalties can add up quickly and strain your financial well-being.
- Jail Time: You could face incarceration depending on the quantity and type of drug involved. Drug possession convictions can lead to mandatory minimum sentences, meaning you might spend a lot of time behind bars.
- Driver's License Suspension: A drug possession conviction can also result in the suspension of your driver's license, therefore making it difficult to commute to work or carry out everyday activities.
- Substance Abuse Treatment: In some cases, the court may order you to attend drug rehabilitation programs as part of your sentence.
Defenses Against Drug Possession Charges
Facing drug possession charges can be daunting, but it's important to know that potential defenses are available to challenge the allegations against you. Our experienced Boston drug possession attorney at Degiacomo & Mikhlin, P.C. can explore various defense strategies tailored to your specific case:
- Illegal Search and Seizure: The evidence obtained may be inadmissible in court if law enforcement conducted an unlawful search and seizure.
- Lack of Possession: We can argue that you did not have actual possession or control over the drugs.
- Prescription or Medical Necessity: We can present this as a defense if you have a valid prescription or a legitimate medical need for the drugs.
- Chain of Custody Issues: We will carefully examine the chain of custody of seized drugs to ensure they are properly handled and stored.
- Miranda Rights Violation: If law enforcement failed to read you your Miranda rights during the arrest, it may be possible to suppress statements made.
- Entrapment: If you were coerced or pressured into committing the offense by law enforcement, we can argue entrapment.
Contact Our Drug Possession Attorney in Boston Today
When you're facing drug possession charges in Boston, you need an experienced legal team to aggressively defend your rights and work tirelessly to achieve the best possible outcome for your case. At Degiacomo & Mikhlin, P.C., our Boston drug possession lawyers deeply understand the legal nuances that can make a difference in your case. Your future is too important to leave to chance. We are here to fight for you and provide the legal support you need during this challenging time.
Contact Degiacomo & Mikhlin, P.C. today to get started with our Boston drug possession lawyer.