Tips From a Norfolk DUI Attorney
Almost everyone knows what a DUI is. But few people know the details that affect how you get charged with and punished for a DUI. Considering how common and consequential this charge is, we have put together a list of helpful tips from a Norfolk DUI attorney:
- Drink Safely – If you know that you are going out and planning to drink, rely on a cab, public transportation, or a designated driver. Remember, too, that even a small amount of alcohol can put you over the legal limit. The easiest way to avoid needing a Norfolk DUI attorney is to avoid getting a DUI.
- Exercise Your Rights – If you have been drinking and get pulled over you need to balance your cooperation with your rights. Arguing or belligerent behavior will only make the problem worse. But at the same time, you are not required to divulge every detail of your night to the police.
- Refuse a Field Sobriety Test – You are required to provide an officer with ID. But you are not required to submit to a field sobriety test. Every Norfolk DUI attorney will tell you that these tests can only work against you. Even if you pass the test, you are unlikely to be released.
- Request Counsel – You have the right to request a Norfolk DUI attorney immediately after being arrested. It is not necessary to wait until your Miranda rights have been read to you. If counsel is denied to you, there is a good chance your case will be thrown out of court.
- Record the Details – As soon as possible after your arrest, write down everything you can remember about the time before, during, and after the arrest. Think of this as your version of the police report. If you hire a Norfolk DUI attorney, this detailed accounting can be a big asset.
- Hire a Good Lawyer – The quality of your DUI defense is directly related to the quality of your Norfolk DUI attorney. Do not work with anyone you do not trust to represent you fully and fairly.
Norfolk DUI Attorneys James G. DeGiacomo and Sergey Mikhlin Can Help You Too
If you have been arrested for a DUI in Norfolk or any of the surrounding areas, contact DeGiacomo & Mikhlin, P.C. at (617) 941-3666. Attorney Noble has helped countless clients properly defended themselves against DUI charges. Don’t let one night of bad decisions ruin the rest of your life, make the right decision for your future-call today!